City of Požega has always been very important cultural centre.
City of Požega has always been a strong cultural centre. Holders of cultural activity in Požega are City Museum, City Library, City Theatre, Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts, Department of Conservation and the National Archives - the institution whose long tradition preserve the cultural identity of the city of Požega.
Požega City Museum is the most characteristic example of baroque architecture. The building was built in the 18th century as a business and residential building and on its corner, at the upper floor window height, there is a niche containing a statue of Virgin Mary, which was put there by the owner of the building, the pharmacist Taller. City Museum was founded in 1924 by Julije Kempf, prominent citizen of our town, historian and the author of the first monograph on Požega and Požega County and the mayor of the town.
Throughout its history museum has changed several locations in the narrow part of the city, including the first permanent exhibition in County Palace. Thanks to the efforts of professor Antun Bauer in 1953 City bought a representative baroque commercial civil Krauss house from the early 18th century, which is the hallmark of the museum. The museum was eventually expanded into a civil Spitzer's house from the early 20th century on the Holy Trinity Square, and into another civil house near by.
By its type, the City Museum is homeland and complex. There are four departments (Archeological, Historical, Art historical with a gallery and Ethnological) with 16 collections and over 30 thousand items.
Požega City Theatre was established back in 1995 on a long theatrical tradition which was nurtured since 1715. Even that there were no ensembles, monthly repertoire was based mainly on visiting professional productions for children and adults. Požega City theatre gathers young amateurs and theater lovers through workshops and publishes "Theatre newspaper" once a year.
City of Požega has always been very important cultural centre. First public performances were performed at the beginning of the 18th century. In the late 19th century Voluntary theater society has been established so during entire period of Požega being "Slavonian Athens" manifested numerous local plays, operettas and traveling theater productions from all over Europe.
From 1957 till 1995 when Požega City Theater was established theatrical life survived thanks to visiting theaters and sporadic shows of a local amateur theater.
Quite a lot could be written about every building on the Holy Trinity Square where the City Theatre is situated. Each of those buildings is a valuable cultural or architectural monument or it used to have a significant role in a social public life.
Today, the City Library is an old building with rich history that used to be the First Savings Bank, founded in Požega in 1873. The building was built in 1907 in the spirit of Art Nouveau. Designed by the famous Croatian architects Leo Hönigsberg and Julio Deutsch.
Reading Room was founded in 1845 under the Latin name "Societas Lectoria". Its cultural activity influenced the development of the popular movement. After the World War II Library changed its name to City Library and to the year 1961 it, gained its independence and changed its name to the National Library. In 1980 the library was united in the Center for Culture and Education, and its final independence as an institution was re-acquired in 1991 by establishing a democratic government in Croatia.