Explore the sights of our city and get know him more closely.
Holy Trinity square has a stretched triangular urban base with Romanic characteristics. Some of the buildings in the square have been built on baroque arches, while other buildings have lost their baroque character through later developments.
Centre piece on the main square in Požega is the Monument to plague which has a statue of the Holy Trinity on top. That Baroque monument was built in 1749, in memory of 798 Požega’s citizens who have died of plague which devastated this area from 15th May till 28th November 1739 when the city had a population of around two thousand. It is written on the monument that it was built by the city, and constructed by pictor di Veneta Gabriel Granicije for the price of 2000 eggs and 300 forints.
Franciscan monastery and the Church of the Holy Spirit are situated directly opposite the Monument to Plague. The monastery and the church have been built in the 13th century.
According to so far investigated historical data, the Franciscans’ church of the Holy Spirit would be the oldest (partially) preserved church in Požega. The church and the convent were used for when Franciscans came to town, after the exile of Tatars from Croatia in the 13th century.
At first, the church was dedicated to St Demetrius which confirms a document from 1317, which among other things also states that church and the convent had burnt down in 1305. Upon the arrival and taking over of Požega by the Turks in 1537, the convent was battered down, and the church turned into a mosque called "Šerklot". Due to that, the church still contains some elements of Late Romanesque, Gothic and Turkish architecture. This was also proven by archeological works during the years 1994 and 1995.
Inside of the church is enriched with valuable Baroque altars and paintings (3 Tirol altars from the 17th and 18th century) and especially valuable Baroque altar in the sacristy from 1737. Beneath the church shrine, there is a crypt which had been closed in 1867. Next to the Franciscans, famous people of Požega were buried in there – judges, senators, officers, noblemen. In that crypt was buried a two year old daughter of Baron Trenk. Fra Luka Ibrišimović, the famous "Hawk" – liberator of Požega, and this part of Slavonia, the exalter of Turks, also found his final resting place here.
It was built in 1789 on the Holy Trinity square, not far from the Franciscan monastery after the wooden City Hall was burnt down. The Town Magistrate palace has been damaged and reconstructed again several times. The last great damage was in June 1842, when the city centre suffered from a big fire, which damaged many buildings, including the city archives. For the needs of the city administration the two neighboring buildings, as well as some others were used during the time. In 1995 the Požega city authorities moved into the renewed, restored and modernly equipped offices and residences.
Požega City Museum is the most characteristic example of baroque architecture. The building was built in the 18th century as a business and residential building and on its corner, at the upper floor window height, there is a niche containing a statue of Virgin Mary, which was put there by the owner of the building, the pharmacist Taller. City Museum was founded in 1924 by Julije Kempf, prominent citizen of our town, historian and the author of the first monograph on Požega and Požega County and the mayor of the town.
Throughout its history museum has changed several locations in the narrow part of the city, including the first permanent exhibition in County Palace. Thanks to the efforts of professor Antun Bauer in 1953 City bought a representative baroque commercial civil Krauss house from the early 18th century, which is the hallmark of the museum. The museum was eventually expanded into a civil Spitzer's house from the early 20th century on the Holy Trinity Square, and into another civil house near by.
By its type, the City Museum is homeland and complex. There are four departments (Archeological, Historical, Art historical with a gallery and Ethnological) with 16 collections and over 30 thousand items.
Požeško – Slavonska Couty Palace is situated in a narrow street called Županijska ulica. In 1750 it was bought by the county from the chamber management. The contemporary appearance of the palace with its three towers originates from 19th century. On the front tower there is the coat of arms of Slavonia.
Požega City Theatre was established back in 1995 on a long theatrical tradition which was nurtured since 1715. Even that there were no ensembles, monthly repertoire was based mainly on visiting professional productions for children and adults. Požega City theatre gathers young amateurs and theater lovers through workshops and publishes "Theatre newspaper" once a year.
City of Požega has always been very important cultural centre. First public performances were performed at the beginning of the 18th century. In the late 19th century Voluntary theater society has been established so during entire period of Požega being "Slavonian Athens" manifested numerous local plays, operettas and traveling theater productions from all over Europe.
From 1957 till 1995 when Požega City Theater was established theatrical life survived thanks to visiting theaters and sporadic shows of a local amateur theater.
Quite a lot could be written about every building on the Holy Trinity Square where the City Theatre is situated. Each of those buildings is a valuable cultural or architectural monument or it used to have a significant role in a social public life.
A big three-storey building, adjacent to Saint Lawrence`s church is the Jesuit College built from 1709 to 1711, as a one-storey Baroque style building. During time, the building was used as military warehouses and lodgings, hospital, and even a merchants’ warehouse.
Finally, the building was bought by Bishop Alexander Alagović in 1835, renewed it and built in a second floor, but left the leaning Baroque style roof. He established Archdiocesan orphanage within it. Collegium was given the appearance it has today in 1904, losing the characters of Baroque. Historians and archeologists established that in that place was a convent Klarisa. Today, it is the residence of Diocese of Požega.
Church of St Lawrence is the oldest building with the richest cultural and artistic meaning and a monument of world wide value according to the International standards. Although the church endured several destructions and upgrades, on the South walls and the shrine there are well preserved medieval frescoes of world wide artistic value. The Organs are also well preserved.
Church of St Lawrence was built in the 14th century on the ground stones of an even older little church, which is yet to be confirmed by archeologists. The church is qualified for ordinance and other significant cultural occasions.
In the two story building, since 1878, live the nuns of the order of St Vincent. The building, as a one story building, was built in 1726 to meet the needs of Požega’s Gymnasium (Comprehensive school). It held the Academia Posegana with the Faculty of Philosophy and Faculty of Theology. One of the students, professors and headmasters of the Gymnasium was Antun Kanižlić, famous for his work "St Rozalija". In his honor, the Committee of Croatian Matrix and the Poet Society of Croatia put up a memorial plaque in 1969.
Today, the City Library is an old building with rich history that used to be the First Savings Bank, founded in Požega in 1873. The building was built in 1907 in the spirit of Art Nouveau. Designed by the famous Croatian architects Leo Hönigsberg and Julio Deutsch.
Reading Room was founded in 1845 under the Latin name "Societas Lectoria". Its cultural activity influenced the development of the popular movement. After the World War II Library changed its name to City Library and to the year 1961 it, gained its independence and changed its name to the National Library. In 1980 the library was united in the Center for Culture and Education, and its final independence as an institution was re-acquired in 1991 by establishing a democratic government in Croatia.
On the Matko Peić square, in front of the birth place of Franjo Ciraki a statue of Miroslav Kraljević was erected in 1985. Further eastward there is the Miroslav Kraljević street and the house where his grandfather Miroslav Kraljević was born, who was a significant writer, printer and a county prefect.
In the Miroslav Kraljević street there is a house where his grandfather Miroslav Kraljević was born, who was a significant writer, printer and a county prefect.
A green city park is the place where families gather with their children, always filled with cheerful laughter and a kid's games. Playground extends to the foot of the Old Town, the hill on which once stood the old Požega fortress. Today it is a park and promenade, arranged according to the designs of William Just from 1877. The promenade was called Strossmayer's promenade but today people commonly called it Old Town or just City. The Old Town can be reached from two sides, the playground or the street Antun Kanižlić, while it provides a view of the beauty of Požega city.
Catholic classical Gymnasium and Catholic elementary school building (until year 2010, Požega Gymnasium building) is a significant institution, which celebrated its 300th anniversary in 1999.
In 1699, Gymnasium was founded by Jesuits and it was the fifth grammar school in Croatia, proceeded just by ones in Zagreb, Rijeka, Varaždin and Dubrovnik. The first graduation exams were taken in 1874, when Gymansium became a classical school. After the World War II., all grammar schools in Croatia had to change their organisation. Gymnasium in Požega was included into the Centre of secondary schools on 1st of September 1976. The injustice done to this important institution was set right when the new Croatian state was established and since 1991 Gymnasium in Požega has been independent institution once again.
On St. Theresa square there are several monuments and a location of a great historical value. There is St. Theresa`s Cathedral, the Catholic primary and secondary school, the monument of friar Luka Ibrišimović and a hill with promenade where a medieval fortress once used to be.
St. Theresa of Avila is a patron saint of Požega, and the church in her honor is the oldest building on the square. The Church of St Theresa was built by Bishop of Zagreb, Franjo Thauszy, with his own funds. Instead of renewing the Fort Požega, which he owned, he took the 80 000 forints and transferred it to the building of this Church. The permission to build this church was given by Empress Mary Theresa on 11th July 1754 and decided that the Church of St Theresa of Avila would be built out of the construction material of the abandoned warehouses and Požega’s military barrack. The ground stone was set on 28th June 1756. It took seven years to build the church, and it was consecrated on 24th July 1763 by the aforementioned Bishop Thauszy.
The insides of the Cathedral are decorated in the styles of the playful Baroque and Rococo. The main altar of St Theresa dominates the church and with its monumentality represents a rare example of Baroque-Rococo style in Croatia. Wall paintings painted in 1898 and 1899 by famous Croatian painters Celestin Medović and Oton Iveković, complete the beauty of the Church. Painting of the Holy Trinity above the main altar is their joint work, while Medović decorated also the ceiling with the painting of the Assumption of St Theresa.
St. Theresa Cathedral, a one-nave church with two side chapels, round sanctuary and two-storey sacristies, belongs to the most beautiful baroque churches not only in Slavonia. The church has been damaged and restored several times.
In front of the church of Saint Theresa there is a monument of friar Luka Ibrišimović (1626-1698), who was born and buried in Požega. By putting up that monument in 1893 (the work of a sculptor Đuro Kiš), city of Požega paid a debt to its Hero, who on 12th March 1688 (Grgurevo) lead the people in a crucial battle against the Turks. Grateful citizens of Požega mark that day each year as the Day of the City Požega and in the memory of Father Luka celebrate with occasional programs and rejoice in the nearby chambers and wine cellars.
The palace of judical institutions was built in 1896 according to the plans of Deutsch and Höningsberg for the needs of the financial office of that time. On the oval corner of the building there is a niche with the statue of Saint Florian, the patron of the town against fire. Opposite of the Courthouse there is a one-storey building, built on the place of Dragutin Lerman`s birth house, whose name was given to the street. The City Požega placed a memorial tablet on that building in gratitude to Lerman, a famous Africanologist, a writer and a member of an expedition in central Africa, where he spent twelve years.
The railway station building is situated in 1894 in Cirakijeva street. The history of the railroad in Požega took place in the second half of the 19th century. In 1896 Požega got A decision on the construction of the railroad Osijek–Našice–Nova Kapela/Batrina with branch for Požega and Pleternica.
The sculpture of Nikola Tesla is situated in a park beside Orljava river and newly built footbridge and walking path. The work was done by Tatjana Kostanjević and it was officially revealed on the occasion of the centenary of the electrification of Požega.
In memory of the Croatian soldiers which gave their lives in the civil war, a Town of Pozega and Pozega-Slavonia County erected a monument in 2002. The monument is the work of architect Ana Nada Krpelnik.
Opposite Sokolovac there is the old Požega’s promenade Tekija with a famous well of cold, drinking, hill water. The legend says that the one who drinks water from Tekija never leaves Požega and surely never forgets it.